The fireworks had just started, and you and I were sitting
on the picnic blanket. We looked up at the sky, and you kept looking over at
me. I kept thinking you were going to speak, so I just smiled and you smiled
back and didn’t take your eyes off me for a few seconds.
You finally reached over and took my hand. I looked at you,
and you asked if that was okay. I said yes, and just smiled again. I don’t
think I’d stopped smiling at you the entire night. We sat like that for a few
more minutes, and I don’t know what was louder—the fireworks or the pounding of
both our hearts. Some of our friends were sitting behind us, but I don’t think
you cared that they were observing the private moment that was meant for just
the two of us. Because to both of us, in that moment, only the two of us
existed.
“Allie?”
“Yes?”
“You remember how you said you’d tell me when you were ready
to commit to us being together?”
“Yeah.”
“Are you ready now?”
I paused, and you backed away from where you’d been
whispering in my ear. I looked at you and just stared for a moment.
“Yes.”
You didn’t say anything, but that charming smile slowly
crept onto your face, and you looked down like you couldn’t believe it was
actually happening. Then you nudged me, and I nudged you back. You scooted a
little closer, squeezed my hand a little tighter, and we watched the rest of
the fireworks sitting close.
That was two years ago, almost to the day.
Tonight the fireworks were set off from that same place, and
they set off my memories. I remembered just how overjoyed I’d been that night.
We’d been through a lot of drama with other people before we decided it was
okay for us to be together, even if those others didn’t think so. You were the
first real boyfriend I’d had, and I was so excited.
I remember exactly what both of us were wearing. I remember
us walking back to the high school parking lot, and I remember driving home in
my little white car. Your car was parked at my house, and I remember dancing in
my garage when we got back. You were trying to teach me to salsa, but we kept
tripping over each other and we couldn’t stop laughing.
A few minutes later you stopped, and looked at me, and you
told me you didn’t want to leave because you wanted to look at me for a while
longer. I honestly don’t think I’d ever smiled that much in one night before in
my life.
But that was two years ago, almost to the day.
Since then, you’ve broken my heart, and I’ve gotten over
you. I was so naïve, and so vulnerable. I didn’t know what was coming to me, so
I just went on basking in the way you made me feel. When I woke up exhausted
because we’d talked until 3 AM, I just smiled and counted the seconds until I’d
see you again later that morning. I had no idea that you’d be the one to
shatter me.
The day you broke up with me, I told myself I would get you
back. I would figure out how to convince you that you’d made a mistake, and we
would still be together. I was convinced that you and I were made for each other,
and I couldn’t let you go.
But that was two years ago, almost to the day.
Once I realized that I wasn’t going to get you back, I
spiraled downward more and more each day. I told myself I wasn’t worthy of any
love because I wasn’t worthy of yours, and I started believing that with every
ounce of my being. Instead of believing in the healing power of God, I believed
in that one false thought that I could never be loved again.
But that was two years ago.
Since then, I’ve moved on. I’ve never really felt the same
way around anyone that I felt when I was with you, but I’m okay with that. I’m
convinced that the longer I wait, the sweeter it will feel when I finally do
meet someone who makes me feel that way. And in all honesty, I know they’ll
make me feel even better.
You graduated and went out west, and I haven’t seen you in
over a year now. But here we are, back in the same town, for the weekend at
least. You’re not going to school anymore, but I just started college and I couldn’t
be happier. I would like to think that I’m doing a lot better than you are,
simply because I have a plan for my life, and I know I can make my dreams come
true.
Tonight that memory came back to me, and for the first time
in a while, I thought of you without remembering the sadness I felt when you
gave up on me. I remembered a happy memory, and the bitter pain that my heart
usually associates with any thought of you didn’t contaminate it.
I could’ve let my thoughts wander until they made me hurt
like that again. I could’ve been sad remembering how beaten up I was after you
left.
But that was two years ago, and I have a life to live.
"I’m convinced that the longer I wait, the sweeter it will feel when I finally do meet someone who makes me feel that way. And in all honesty, I know they’ll make me feel even better."
ReplyDeleteVery well said, Allie! I'm thrilled to be allowed to read this and see how you have grown. Your writing is excellent, too :) I love you so much and I hope you never forget that there is One who loves you even more than anyone ever could!