Thursday, December 15, 2011

This uncontrollable ache.

It’s getting to the point where I can’t even watch my parents when they’re together anymore.

My parents are not usually extremely affectionate, but witnessing even their small gestures of affection leave me feeling like someone has thrown a brick into my stomach. I don’t want to be alone. I don’t.

I’m not desperate. I’m not going to sacrifice my reputation, my conscience, or my purity to get attention from a man. But I hurt a lot more than I used to. Do I blame it on him? Partially. He made me feel things at new heights of emotion for me, and consequently I’m left with new lows now that he’s gone.

I went to college hoping it would be a chance for me to start over. For me to be someone who actually had a chance at falling in love instead of screwing up any prospective relationship that may have entered into my life. I was hoping that I could be a new person who didn’t even need a guy, someone who could be just as happy single as I could with someone.

None of that happened. I had high hopes for myself, I really did. I was so happy for the first few months, and I was truly content with being single. Then I met him. I was just as happy then as I was before I met him, if not more so than before. My goal to be single and happy had been achieved, and now that I had become an independently happy person, I wanted to see if I could be happy with someone.

I was. I spent every day smiling and laughing and just… happy! That word starts to lose its meaning, but it’s the only word that comes to mind when I think about the time when he and I were getting to know each other. We’d take long walks, and we’d study together, and we’d sit on my couch and talk between classes every Tuesday afternoon. I finally got comfortable enough to trust him. And it felt good.

Almost instantaneously following that moment of trust, my feelings of happiness were shattered. It was a matter of literal hours after I’d decided that I trusted him, when he dropped a bomb straight into my soul and told me he wasn’t ready to date me. He wasn’t even ready to try. I never even hinted that we could be something more, but apparently he had thought of that possibility, and for whatever reason it scared him. So he held my heart for a matter of hours, just before he let it fall out of his grip and shatter. Again. And this time, I felt more pain than I ever had before.

I’m still reeling from it, in a way, even though it’s been over a month since he told me he couldn’t try. I think I’m only reeling because my hope was built up, I thought that for the first time in my life, I’d have someone to call my own. My dreams for what we could become had just mustered up the courage to emerge from the depths of my soul, but then his words crushed them in a matter of minutes.

I just hate knowing how incredible it feels to be pursued. I almost wish I didn’t know what it felt like. I could compare it to someone with an allergy to chocolate. If they’ve never in their life tasted chocolate, then they have no perception of how much they’re missing by not being able to eat it. But once they’ve tasted it once, they know how amazing it tastes, and they want more, even though it’s not good for them. I’m the same way. Now that I know what it feels like to be held, and to have someone whisper in my ear, and to have someone kiss me on the cheek, I just want more, even though I know it may not be what I need right now.

I feel like I’m slipping. I was fine for a few days, because I knew he was far away, geographically. Now that same knowledge makes me feel incredibly alone. I feel hopeless. I don’t want to be alone forever. At this moment, the knowledge of how very ALONE I really am makes it difficult for me to breathe if I dwell on it for too long.

I don’t know what to do.

1 comment:

  1. Allie allie allie! I hope I'm not invading on your privacy, but since I saw this I figured I might as well respond. Firstly, I didn't even know you had a blog... when you said "you blog too?!" I thought the "too" part was referring to your tumblr, not an actual blog! Oh my goodness! Secondly, I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN when you say that once you tasted it, all you want is more! I relate so much. Which is why I don't trust myself with a lot of boys, because I'm afraid I'll just throw myself on them in attempts of being pursued and such, so now, I just try to run away and flee from them all, until everyone's more mature at least (including myself). Ha. Thirdly, the most important thing is to turn to God. Thank goodness I was in a biblical womanhood discipleship group over the summer (otherwise I'd be all over the place right now with boys), which taught me that the point of relationships and marriage isn't to be all lovey dovey and attention seeking, but it's to glorify God and point to the holy marriage between the church and Christ that is to happen in heaven. another article for kicks- http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/relationship/features/27749-you-never-marry-the-right-person
    but yeah, that really put things into perspective. Because I'm not going to want ANY boy who isn't extremely founded in his faith and isn't able to lead me toward a godly relationship. Because without God in the picture, the relationship isn't going to work. And honestly, I don't think any boy (or me) is completely at that point yet, when he's so founded in his faith that he's ready to lead someone else in the walk too, and where we're both so in love with God that we won't begin to idolize the other or put the other one before God. Because I /know/ that right now, I would do that... I'd be all, wow you're awesome i love you lalala and then shove God in a closet. NASAYIN? oh, and fourthly, have faith that God's got someone even better planned for you. really. it's not like He wants his daughters to suffer!

    anyways i'm praying for you! hrmm didn't mean to type so much:<

    ReplyDelete